List of ingredients:
- 320g plain flour
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 168g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 237ml Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of red food colouring ( paste/gels give a better result if you have them)
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- 320g butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
Pre-heat the oven to 150 fan /gas 2/300 and line a muffin tray with muffin/cupcake cases.
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy slowly add the eggs a bit at a time to ensure they combine with curdling – the slower the better. Whisk slowly until combined. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
Mix in the food colouring
Add the flour and cocoa powder in three stages, alternating with the buttermilk – whisk on a low setting
add the bicarb to the vinegar and add to the batter and combine.
Pipe or spoon the batter into the cupcake cases
Bake for 20 minutes or until you can place a skewer in and it comes out clean.
Remember all ovens are different so get to know your oven and how it bakes.
Turn the cakes around half way through cooking to avoid hot spots in the oven.
Once baked allow to completely cool in the tray before transferring the cakes onto a cooling rack
Cream cheese frosting
- 230g unsalted butter at room temperature ( you can exclude the butter and use double the cream cheese)
- 230g cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 250g icing sugar
With a wooden spoon cream all of the ingredients together.
Decorate with edible glitter and hear shaped sprinkles and enjoy!
Don’t forget we are running a Valentine Truffle making workshops